Virginia Tech® home

Forms and Guidelines

Campus Common Space and Advertisement requests for the 2023-2024 Academic Year are closed. Requests will open for Summer 2024 and the 2024-2025 Academic Year on Monday, May 13, 2024.

See Policy 5000 and Policy 5215 for more information

Amplification in or around academic buildings is permitted during the following hours:

  • Monday through Friday amplification is allowed between the hours of 5 - 9:30 p.m.
  • Saturday amplification is allowed between the hours of 10 a.m. and 10 p.m.
  • Sunday amplification is allowed between the hours of noon and 9:30 p.m.

Amplification in or around residence halls is permitted during the following hours:

  • Amplification is not allowed Sunday through Thursday
  • Friday amplification is allowed between the hours of 5 - 10 p.m.
  • Saturday amplification is allowed between the hours of 11 a.m. and 10 p.m.

See Policy 5000 for more information.

Campus Common Space and Advertisement requests for the 2023-2024 Academic Year are closed. Requests will open for Summer 2024 and the 2024-2025 Academic Year on Monday, May 13, 2024.

Campus Common Space refers to all lobbies, foyers and atriums located within academic facilities and outdoor spaces reserved by Event Services. This does not include Rec Sports, Athletics, The Inn at Virginia Tech, or Moss Arts Center outdoor spaces.

Campus Common Space Reservation Guidelines:

In accordance with Virginia Tech Policy 5000, Campus Common Space events may not be continuous or repetitive in nature. All events are limited to three (3) consecutive days to allow other organizations to have at least two (2) consecutive days in the same week.

Additional Location Specific or Activity Guidelines may apply.

Unscheduled Use of a Campus Common Space:

An Event Host who has reserved a Campus Common Space is entitled to exclusive use of that space during the reservation time. Unscheduled or conflicting use of space during a reservation time may not be permitted, and individuals whose use conflicted with the scheduled use will be required to leave the area.

Looking for a Campus Common Space that is not listed on the Reservable Space Map?

The space you are attempting to reserve may not be reservable or we do not know who reserves it.

All aerial fireworks/pyrotechnics are subject to the requirements of the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code and the National Fire Protection Association. A permit for these activities must be submitted to the Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO). This guide applies to all Event Sponsors that may organize an event including the use of aerial fireworks or pyrotechnics on university property. There are no exceptions to this policy as the permits are issued by the SFMO

Fireworks can only occur on the West side of the Drillfield and your reservation must begin at 12pm on the day of the event. If you are interested in having fireworks or other pyrotechnics as a part of your event, please contact the Event Services Office directly prior to signing any contracts with a pyrotechnics company AND submit a Campus Common Space Form at least 30 business days in advance.

Please note: failure to comply with any of the steps listed in the linked guidelines may result in event cancelation.

General Information:

Event sponsors are free to provide their own food and beverage service in compliance with the Montgomery County Health Department regulations or choose any caterer to provide food services in all facilities managed by Student Engagement and Campus Life (SECL). If you wish to serve food and/or beverages at your event, please be sure to indicate that on your Event Details Form Submission and/or discuss with your Reservations Coordinator. As a reminder - University Departments, UCSO’s and, USLP’s must order all food through America To Go.

There are various regulations and requirements mandated by the Montgomery County Health Department and Virginia Tech that you may need to fulfill prior to your event date. A certificate of insurance for your organization and/or the caterer, a Temporary Food Establishment and/or security may be required. 

Please review the linked Food and Alcoholic Beverage Services Guidelines for complete information on serving food and/or alcohol on campus.


Consistent with university policy, alcoholic beverages are not permitted without prior written approval. A Virginia ABC License and Security may be required. In order to be considered, the location requested must be a self-contained area (specific room or fenced in outdoor location) that is not open to the public. Insurance is required for all events with alcohol.

Food Trucks:

Event Sponsors can request to have any external food truck at your event, however, Virginia Tech Dining Services Food Trucks (Grillfield and Periodic Table) have the first right of refusal to provide food truck dining options for your event. Requests for External Food Trucks can be made utilizing the linked Request Form. PLEASE NOTE: External Food Trucks are NOT permitted to sell food directly to patrons on Virginia Tech’s campus. If you wish to have an external food truck at your event, your department/organization must pay for the food in advance and then it must be served to patrons free of charge, similar to securing catering services.

Major Entertainment is defined as any event for which there are contracted performers valued at or above $5,000 AND which takes place in the following campus locations: Burruss Auditorium, Cassell Coliseum, Commonwealth Ballroom, Colonial Hall, Haymarket Theatre, GLC Auditorium, GLC Multipurpose Room, Rector Fieldhouse, War Memorial Gym, or Campus Common Spaces. Such events include but are not limited to concerts, speakers, lectures, theatrical performances, and comedians. If entertainment-based programs are advertised off campus and are open to the general public, the program may be considered a major entertainment event regardless of whether admission fees are charged. Anticipated audience size, target audience, complexity of the contract, security and safety, magnitude and promotion of the event, the contract price, and history of the artist are factors considered in defining major entertainment. Major Entertainment may not be for personal proprietary gain.


Major Venues and Meeting Rooms can be requested via the EMS Web App. Event Services will review your request generally within three (3) business days and let you know if your request was accepted or denied as well as request any additional information needed to confirm your reservation. If your request is more than 90 days from now, you might not hear back from us within three (3) business days, please allow for up to fourteen (14) business days for confirmation.

Open burning is defined as any open/exposed flame that could cause a fire. Examples of open burning are: candles, bonfires, artwork involving flames, and pyrotechnics of any kind. An Open Burn Request Form must be filled out 10 business days prior to the event for approval. A Student Engagement and Campus Life Security Form will be required in addition to the open burn permit for major burning (21 business days prior to event). Insurance will also be required. If you would like fireworks to be a part of your event, please contact Event Services so we can discuss the process.

There is a rental fee for all equipment, and charges will be billed to the sponsoring department/organization. Equipment available for use include white plastic chairs, black chairs, and 6-foot tables. The student organization/department is responsible for the transport, set-up, and return of all rented equipment.

Please come to the Welcome Center at Squires Student Center to check out the equipment requested through Event Services. Contact information will be required to check out the equipment. The client is responsible for the transport, set-up, and return of all rented equipment. Equipment will be picked up at Loading Dock B once finished at the Welcome Center.

Equipment not returned within 30 minutes (or the agreed upon time) of the end of the reservation may incur additional fees and may result in the denial of future reservations and/or further sanctioning.

Please verify that your equipment rental does not conflict with Squires building hours, if it does, you may need to pick the equipment up the day prior and/or keep the equipment over night to return the next day. This could potentially be a 3 day rental (all days will be billed).

Parking Services is responsible for managing the parking and permits process on campus. A parking permit is required to park on-campus from 7:00 am - 10:00 pm, Monday – Friday unless signed otherwise. Parking regulations are always in effect, including when classes are not in session.

Have questions about the Parking regulations on campus? Please contact Parking Services directly at or 540-231-3200.

Visitor Parking Permits

Visitors/Individuals without a Parking Permit will need to utilize the ParkMobile app or purchase a daily parking permit from the Parking Portal. Visitor Parking Permits are $8.00 per day, per vehicles. Please note; there are several lots around campus that do not allow visitor parking, please check the Parking Services website for complete information.

Vendor Permits

For events, Event Sponsors are responsible for ensuring that their vendors (caterers, attraction vendors, etc.) have secured the appropriate parking permit prior to arriving on campus. Vendor Parking Permits cost $10.00 per day, per vehicle. All vendors will be parked in the Lower Chicken Hill Parking Lot regardless of event location.

Turf Permits

A Turf Permit is required any time a vehicle is to be parked on grass. The appropriate Visitor or Vendor Permit is required in addition to the turf permits. The Turf Permits cost $50 per day, per vehicle. Turf Permit applications must be submitted in person to the Parking Services Office.

Loading Dock Access

  • Loading dock access is only available for events occurring in Squires Student Center and, Burruss Hall Auditorium by special request only.
    • There is NO loading dock access at any other Student Engagement and Campus Life managed facilities.
  • Loading dock passes are approved on a case-by-case basis on availability and department/tenant use.
    • NOTE: Parking Services cannot provide approval to utilize the SECL Loading Docks. Requests are reviewed and approved by Event Services directly.
  • The loading dock is to be used for the purposes of unloading/loading only and must be limited to no more than 30 minutes. Vehicles parked for extended periods of time will be towed at the owner’s expense.
    • If approved, the dumpsters and any parked SECL vehicles cannot be blocked at any time.
  • Need to request to utilize the loading dock for your event? Please let your Reservations Coordinator know!

Production Services provides sound, lighting, video, and rigging assistance to events held in all major venues (Burruss Auditorium, Colonial Hall, Commonwealth Ballroom, Haymarket Theatre, Old Dominion Ballroom, and many other campus locations).

If your event requires use of any technical services, please be sure to inform your event planner so an appointment referral with Production Services can be arranged. Production must be requested 30 business days in advance of the event date.

Contact us at: 540-231-3499 or

The Virginia Tech Police Department provides security at numerous events all across campus. We will help to determine your security needs based on the specific event. Activities that may require security typically involve, but are not limited to, one or more of the following:

  • Alcoholic beverages;
  • Large groups of people, particularly those involving non-university affiliated guests;
  • Activities that have the potential to disrupt the normal operation of the university;
  • Activities which occur on the same date as other major university events (such as Athletic games, concerts, commencement, etc.);
  • A metal detector; and/or
  • Sensitive or high-profile topics or speakers/guests.

The following types of events will not ordinarily require the attendance of police officers or security personnel: organizational meetings, speakers, most films, and low-attendance student performances. However, sponsors are expected to be sensitive to the need for security in unusual circumstances.

If your organization is required or would like security for an event, sponsors must submit the below security form to Event Services no less than 21 business days prior to the event.

Securing a Tent Permit is the responsibility of the client.

Tent Permits are mandatory for all tents erected on Virginia Tech property that are larger than 900 square feet. Multiple tents with square footage of more than 900 square feet will need to submit a Tent Permit as well. Requests must be submitted 21 business days prior to the event.

In addition, the client is responsible for contacting Miss Utility no less than 5 days prior to the erection of any staked tents (to have all underground lines marked). This service can be reached by calling (800) 552-7001.

Any event occurring in a venue operated by Student Engagement and Campus Life that intends to sell tickets is required to use the Student Engagement and Campus Life Ticket Office.

Indoor Events:

Trash and Recycling receptacles are available in every indoor location reserved by Event Services. There is no need to request additional receptacles.

Outdoor (Campus Common Space):

Trash and Recycling receptacles can be added any event in a Campus Common Space free of charge depending on availability. Please contact your Reservations Coordinator if you wish to add Trash/Recycling to a Campus Common Space event. Requests must be submitted a minimum of 5 business days prior to the event date.