At Virginia Tech, we have approximately 800 student organizations that bring excitement, programs, and community to our campus.
There are multiple opportunities for getting involved in these orgs and finding ones that fit your interest on campus. Questions? Feel free to come see us in Student Engagement and Campus Life (Squires Student Center, Rooms 225 and 325).
In order to register for the 2019-2020 academic year your student organization must complete the five steps of registration.
Step One: RSVP for a MART session at least 2 days before attending.
Step Two: ATTEND MART. Bring your Hokie Passport, a writing utensil and come prepared to discuss your org.
Step Three: COMPLETE the post-MART survey (REQUIRED) within 48 hours of attending.
Step Four: SUBMIT your organization's Registration Packet. Submit no later than 2 weeks after attending MART.
Step Five: RECEIVE an approval message from Student Engagement and Campus Life staff.
Steps 1, 2, 3, & 5 can be found and completed on GobblerConnect. Contact email@example.com for questions.
Below are the 2019 MART session offerings. Please visit GobblerConnect in order to RSVP for a sesssion.
|Spring 2019 Sessions|
|Mon, 3/25||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Mon, 3/25||7pm-8pm||Squires 340||Retaining & Engaging Members|
|Tues, 3/26||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership|
|Tues, 3/26||12pm-1pm||Squires 219||Effective Leadership (Graduate Orgs Only)|
|Wed, 3/27||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Wed, 3/27||7:30pm-8:30pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members|
|Thurs, 3/28||6pm-7pm||Squires 340||Effective Leadership|
|Fri, 3/29||1pm-2pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
Meeting Room C
|Org Branding & Recruitment (Graduate Orgs Only)|
|Tues, 4/2||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members|
|Wed, 4/3||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership|
|Wed, 4/3||7:30pm-8:30pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Thurs, 4/4||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members|
Meeting Room B
|Retaining & Engaging Members (Graduate Orgs Only)|
|Fri, 4/5||1pm-2pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership|
|Mon, 4/8||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Mon, 4/8||7:30pm-8:30pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members|
|Tues, 4/9||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership|
|Wed, 4/10||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Wed, 4/10||7:30pm-8:30pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members|
|Thurs, 4/11||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership|
|Mon, 4/15||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Mon, 4/15||7:30pm-8:30pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members|
|Tues, 4/16||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership|
|Wed, 4/17||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Wed, 4/17||7:30pm-8:30pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members|
|Thurs, 4/18||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership|
|Fri, 4/19||1pm-2pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Mon, 4/22||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment (UCSOs Only)|
|Tues, 4/23||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members (New Orgs Only)|
|Thurs. 4/25||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment (New Orgs Only)|
|Fri, 4/26||1pm-2pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership (UCSOs Only)|
|Mon, 4/29||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership (New Orgs Only)|
|Mon, 4/29||7:30pm-8:30pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members|
|Tues, 4/30||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership - NEW ORGS ONLY|
|Wed, 5/1||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Wed, 5/1||7:30pm-8:30pm||Squires 342||Retaining & Engaging Members|
|Thurs, 5/2||6pm-7pm||Squires 342||Effective Leadership|
|Thurs, 5/2||7:30pm-8:30pm||Squires 342||Org Branding & Recruitment|
|Fri, 5/3||1-2pm||Squires, Brush A and Brush B||Retaining & Engaging Members|
We are always excited about new clubs and organizations starting at Virginia Tech. The majority of our organizations are Registered Student Organizations (RSO). If you are interested in starting a new organization, please go to GobblerConnect to review existing organizations. If you do not see any existing organizations with the same purpose, read through the following steps to register or review the New Organization Process Overview.
We apologize for the inconvenience but the New Organization Proces is now closed for the 2018-2019 school year. Please contact Morgen Snowadzky at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Please note: In order to qualify for the new organization process, you need to have at least five founding members who are all current Virginia Tech students and must meet the department’s definition of a student organization: “A group created by and for currently enrolled students that gathers with a specific purpose that contributes the Virginia Tech community and provides opportunities for students in an ongoing way that is not currently present at Virginia Tech.”
Step One: Interested students can fill out a New Organization Interest Form on GobblerConnect. This form must be submitted by November 1st in order to be considered for the fall semester; the form will re-open in January for students interested in starting an organization in the spring.
Step Two: After submitting the form, you will be contacted to schedule a New Organization Interest Meeting with a member of the Student Organization Development team to discuss your organization and the next steps in the process, including scheduling your New Organization Orientation.
Step Three: At least 3 members must attend a New Organization Orientation in the Source to learn about the processes and procedures of being a student organization, as well as learn about how to set your organization up for success.
Step Four: Create a New Organization profile on GobblerConnect, including the student organization goal setting action plan.
Step Five: Meet with an Engagement Ambassador to finalize two goals for your organization’s first year.
Step Six: All elements of recognition process are reviewed by Student Organization Coordinator and approved organizations will gain Registered Student Organization status.
Step Seven: Attend a New Organization Mandatory Annual Registration Training (MART) session in the spring semester to maintain recognition for the upcoming year.
**Annual registration is REQUIRED for all student organizations to remain active and recognized by Virginia Tech Student Engagement and Campus Life.
We have four different types of student organizations at Virginia Tech. Each plays a crucial and unique role in helping to build our campus community. Check out the following definitions to see the differences:
- Registered Student Organization (RSO): a voluntary association of Virginia Tech students that has no direct relationship to the university but upon completion of registration documents is entitled to certain privileges to include operating, meeting, advertising, and participating in activities on the Virginia Tech campus.
- University Chartered Student Organization (UCSO): an organization comprised primarily of students but which, by constitutional design, has a specifically established direct relationship to the university. This relationship includes, but is not limited to, policy review, special programs, governance, and paid faculty/staff advisers/coaches.
- University Student Life Program (USLP): an organization comprised primarily or exclusively of students whose activities, operations, and decision making processes are directly governed by academic or administrative departments and for which the university is ultimately responsible.
- Extended Campus Student Organization (ECSO): a voluntary association of Virginia Tech students at an extended campus location that has no direct relationship to the university but upon completion of registration documents with its extended campus center and receipt of those documents by the Student Activities Office is entitled, pursuant to policies established at its extended campus center, to certain privileges which may include operating, meeting, advertising, and participating in activities on its Virginia Tech extended campus.
Officially listed organizations shall have the priviledge to conduct activities on the campus of Virginia Tech in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Visit our staff during weekly office hours to get help with student organizations or GobblerConnect!
- Chatrice Barnes, Assistant Director for Student Organizations and Leadership Development
Mondays: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (325 Squires)
Fridays: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (325 Squires)
- Morgen Snowadzky, Coordinator for Student Organizations and Leadership
Wednesdays: 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (325 Squires)
- Thursdays: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (325 Squires)
- Fridays: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (325 Squires)
- Maggie Rudd, G.A. For Student Organizations and Leadership Development
Tuesdays: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. (325 Squires)
Thursdays: 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. (325 Squires)
Fridays: 12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. (The Source)
- Gina Tamburro, Associate Director for Engagement
Mondays: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (225 Squires)