The Source is the premier one-stop shop for all student organizations! In The Source (located in the Breakzone) student organization members are able to make advertisement and announcement banners, create colorful balloon arrangements, host committee meetings, practice for presentations, access the complete Adobe Creative Suite, and receive discounted printing—through our partnership with HokiePrint!
Not Sure How to Start Your Involvement Journey?
Involvement Advising is available virtually now and through Fall 2020. Students who aren't quite sure where to start can lean on our Engagement Ambassadors who would love to talk you through the possibilities. Simply submit a questionnaire about your interests and goals on GobblerConnect and we'll connect you with a student to recommend opportunities and discuss the process for getting involved in a student organization or other opportunities.
The Source will be open for in-person guests by appointment only during the fall semester, as well as for virtual consultations via Zoom and questions via email.
Appointments are only offered from 4-7 pm on Monday – Thursday, but our team is available during the following hours of operation:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 2-7 pm and Fridays from 1-5 pm*
*Weekly virtual roundtable conversations occur each Friday from 1:30-2:30 pm, more information about topics and to RSVP can be found here.
If you’re interested in visiting The Source to work on a project for your organization, we are offering in-person appointments that are 45-minutes long at our physically-distanced work stations. To make an appointment please follow these steps:
- Select an appointment from the slots available on our SignUp page or contact us at email@example.com so we can help you book a slot.
- Fill out the In-Person Appointment Materials Request Form at least 24 hours prior to your visit.
- If you have any changes to the details of your visit or materials request, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
If you’re organization is not able to visit during our set appointment times, please email email@example.com to inquire about alternative accomodations.
These are the expectations for everyone visiting The Source for an in-person appointment this semester:
- Appointments are 45 minutes long and you must leave at the end of your appointment
- Only those who have signed up for an appointment ahead of time and are listed on the reservation should come to The Source for the appointment
- No one who is experiencing fever or other symptoms of COVID-19, or has had a known exposure to someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, should visit The Source
- All visitors must wear a face covering and maintain 6-feet of physical distance from others whenever possible during their visit
- Hand sanitizer is provided at all the work stations for you to use during your visit
- Any requests for additional materials should be placed via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have concerns about being able to meet these expectations, please contact us at email@example.com so we can assist you accordingly. Certain materials may be available to pick up and take with you in place of an in-person appointment upon request.
Our Engagement Ambassadors are available to meet with you via Zoom to talk through a variety of student organization related topics, including but not limited to:
- Constitutions and Governing Documents
- Conflict Management
- Mission and Purpose Clarification
- Transitioning to Virtual Operations
To book an appointment with an Engagement Ambassador, please head to our Bookings page.
The Source is your destination for productivity!
- Presentation Review Platform
- Button Design Station (Bring your designs pre-printed or send them to TheSource@vt.edu)
- 2 Conference Spaces for exec meetings, committee meetings, or an entire organization meeting if your org is small!
- Banner Creation Station
- Ad Beam (Bring us posters, fliers and brochures to display!)
- Balloon Arrangement Station
- 3 Computer Stations (All complete with Adobe Creative Suite software)
- Makers Station for making magnets and stickers, cutting out shapes and letters on a die-cut machine, and laminating materials
What else would you like to see in The Source? We want to hear from you! Share your thoughts and suggestions at TheSource@vt.edu!
We welcome any student org member to utilize our services such as Adobe Creative suite, committee meeting space, and the presentation revision space. However, there are guidelines for product usage. Here’s what you need to know:
- Each student organization has 1000 points to allocate towards products such as buttons, banners, and balloons.
- In order to use the points a member of the organization MUST be listed as an executive board member on GobblerConnect. You can update your roster at any time throughout the year.
- At the end of each month The Source will be able to update you on your balance.
- You cannot purchase more points. The goal is to keep this space and its resources free of charge! Keep an eye out for promotions to gain more points.
Stop by The Source to learn more about how to maximize your points for the year!
The Source offers card scanners for you to use to check-in attendees at your events, which is especially important for the required attendance tracking in the new Event Guidelines.
If you’d like to request a card scanner, please email The Source at firstname.lastname@example.org with the date and time of your event, number of scanners needed, if you’ll be using a Mac or PC, and the name of your organization. We will email you back to confirm a time to pick-up and drop-off the device, along with instructions for how to use it with GobblerConnect.
Thanks to our partnership with the new on-campus print shop, Hokie Print (located in the Lobby of Squires) we are able to offer all of our registered student organizations amazing discounts!
Here’s what you need to know:
- The Source does not do in-house printing. You will not print your fliers, brochures, and other materials with us.
- However, if you want to use your student organization discount THEN you will need to send your design to email@example.com and we will send a verification message to Hokie Print confirming that your organization is eligible for the special discount.
- Your student org discount only applies to small format printing (i.e. between 8.5x11” and 11x17” paper). The discount does not apply to large format print jobs (e.g. banners, a-frames, life size cut outs). Please contact Hokie Print directly for these requests.
**Please note, the Hokie Print discount is different from The Source product points which means you will have to pay for the copies you make.
- Hokie Print only accepts payment via Hokie Passport. They can print a receipt in case your organization needs proof of purchase for a reimbursement.
Come see us in The Source for more information!
Engagement Ambassadors not only help staff The Source, the ambassadors are the key members of our engagement team, assisting in strategic planning and marketing, leadership development and facilitation, and content management in order to enhance the student involvement experience.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Morgen Snowadzky, Student Organization Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Student organizations can nominate themselves or other organizations. The Organization of the month will receive:
- 500 extra points to use in The Source
- A feature in the monthly Source newsletter.
- An opportunity to host one event in The Source within the semester (before reading day),