The Student Budget Board (SBB) is a standing committee of the Commission of Student Affairs (CSA). The board manages the allocation process of a portion of the student activities fee to Registered Student Organizations (RSO), University Chartered Student Organizations (UCSO), and University Student Life Programs (USLP). SBB is a policy board that strives to fund organizations in a fair and equitable manner.
Funds allocated through SBB are meant to enrich the experiences and exposure of the student body (both undergraduate and graduate) during their time at Virginia Tech.
- The student organization must be re-registered with Student Engagement and Campus Life (through GobblerConnect) by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 15, 2017 for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- If an organization is not re- registered by this deadline, the organization will not be able to apply for, or access, any funding for this academic year.
- Note: If you are a new organization, formed after September 15th, please contact SBB for information on funding.
- Any organization applying for funding, must complete a Funding Workshop prior to applying for funds.
- Information on Funding Workshops can be found on the tab below.
This year, SBB Funding Workshops will be available online, through Canvas.
- Any individual who wants to apply for organizational funding must complete a Funding Workshop.
- Note: This is different from past years.
- In the past, only one person from each organization was required to attend.
- Now, if you wish to apply, you must individually complete a Funding Workshop
- Note: This is different from past years.
- Funding Workshops consist of the following:
- Watching a video.
- Completing a quiz on the PowerPoint content.
- Individuals must achieve a 100% on the quiz to be eligible to apply for funding.
- You may take the quiz more than once, if needed.
- Additionally, it is strongly encouraged that you read through policy. All organizations and members are beholden to all of SBB policy.
- Instructions for finding and enrolling in the course can be found here.
- The Workshop will be available starting Wednesday, August 23 at noon.
- Information on Funding Applications can be found below.
Organizations cannot apply for funding until a Funding Workshop is successfully completed.
- Once you have completed a Funding Workshop, you may apply for funds through the GobblerConnect online portal found here.
- All funding requests must be submitted on the appropriate funding form determined by the type of funding you are seeking.
- This is covered in the Funding Workshop.
- Again, any individual who wants to apply for organizational funding must complete a Funding Workshop prior to applying for funds.
- Funding applications will be live on Monday, August 28 at noon.
Student Budget Board is guided by their Policy and Procedure documents. These are crucial for the success of SBB as well as our student organizations.
It is your responsibility as a student leader to read, review, and adhere to policy.
Please access the appropriate documentation below.
Most SBB payments are done via reimbursements. There are some charges that we can pay via invoice and directly. In order to find out if a payment qualifies please review SBB Policy and/or contact SBB at firstname.lastname@example.org. Detailed information regarding reimbursements can be found in our Policy and Procedures.
A couple of key points regarding reimbursements:
- SBB does not retroactively fund requests.
- This means that you MUST obtain approval, prior to spending any funds.
- Reimbursement Processing Forms can be found below under Forms
- Please be aware that processing for reimbursements can take up to 4 weeks.
- Direct Deposit
- It is recommended that you sign up for Direct Deposit with the university.
- This payment process allows you to receive your funding quicker.
- Directions are as follows:
- Go to www.hokiespa.vt.edu and Login
- Once logged in, click on the “Hokie Team” tab at the top.
- Click on Direct Deposit.
- Add bank accounts as necessary.
Please find various forms that may be needed for SBB reimbursements and payments here.
- Payment / Reimbursement Form
- This form must be filled out for EACH person or company who is seeking payment or reimbursement.
- 20 Questions
- This will need to be completed if you are contracting a performer.
- It is used to determine whether a contracted performer is a VT employee.
- Please complete upon your decision to contract a performer and turn it in to the SECL Finance Team in 225, Squires.
- This gives us tax information on an individual or company.
- It is required with a contract or invoice payment.
Each student that will be collecting and/or handling funds on behalf of UCSO’s must attend Cash Handling Training annually to comply with University guidelines.
The Cash Handling Training is conducted online through our Canvas learning website www.canvas.vt.edu. In order to proceed with this training send an e-mail to Crystal Wall at email@example.com or all at 540-231-4048 so you may be added to the training. You must complete the training before any funds can be collected.
Below are copies of forms that are required when collecting funds.
If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to Budget Board in the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 540-231-5431
- In Person: Squires 225
The Chair of Student Budget Board, Eryn Peters, is also available.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 540-231-XXXX
- In Person: Squires 129B (next to the Ticket Office)
- Office Hours are TBD
- Email for an appointment