The Student Budget Board (SBB) is a standing committee of the Commission of Student Affairs (CSA). The board manages the allocation process of a portion of the student activities fee to Registered Student Organizations (RSO), University Chartered Student Organizations (UCSO), and University Student Life Programs (USLP). SBB is a policy board that strives to fund organizations in a fair and equitable manner.
Funds allocated through SBB are meant to enrich the experiences and exposure of the student body (both undergraduate and graduate) during their time at Virginia Tech.
The student organization must be re-registered with Student Engagement and Campus Life (through GobblerConnect) by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 7, 2018 for the 2018-2019 academic year.
If an organization is not re- registered by this deadline, the organization will not be able to apply for, or access, any funding for this academic year.
Any organization applying for funding, must complete a Funding Workshop prior to applying for funds.
Information on Funding Workshops can be found on the tab below.
This year, SBB Funding Workshops will be available online, through Canvas.
*The Funding Workshop is now live on Canvas. Please see details below.*
- Any individual who wants to apply for organizational funding must complete a Funding Workshop.
- If you wish to apply, on behalf of an organization, you must individually complete a Funding Workshop
- Funding Workshops consist of the following:
- Watching a video.
- Completing a quiz on the PowerPoint content.
- Individuals must achieve a 100% on the quiz to be eligible to apply for funding.
- You may take the quiz more than once, if needed.
- Additionally, it is strongly encouraged that you read through policy and procedure. All organizations are expected to do this.
- Steps for Accessing the Funding Workshop
- It can be found on Canvas.
- Click on “Courses” on the left-hand side.
- Select “All Courses”
- Then hit click “Browse More Courses” in the right-hand corner
- Then search, “2018-2019 SBB Funding Workshop”
- You must enroll in this course in order to complete the quiz
- Please click (+Join this Course) on the All Courses page or on the Course’s Homepage
- It can be found on Canvas.
- The Funding Workshop must be completed (with a 100%) PRIOR TO applying for funding.
- If you apply before completing the workshop, your request will be automatically denied.
- If you are having trouble with the workshop, please let us know.
- If you need accommodations for the workshop, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-231-4379.
Organizations cannot apply for funding until a Funding Workshop is successfully completed.
*Applications will go live on Monday, August 20th. Do not apply until you’ve taken a funding workshop*
Once you have completed a Funding Workshop, you may apply for funds through the GobblerConnect online portal found here.
All funding requests must be submitted on the appropriate funding form determined by the type of funding you are seeking.
This is covered in the Funding Workshop.
Again, any individual who wants to apply for organizational funding must complete a Funding Workshop prior to applying for funds.
Student Budget Board is guided by their Policy and Procedure documents. These are crucial for the success of SBB as well as our student organizations.
It is your responsibility as a student leader to read, review, and adhere to policy and procedure
This year, SBB has split the policies and procedures into two documents to make it easier for people to read.
Policy—outlines funding categories, amounts and maximums for requests, what can and cannot be asked for, etc.
Procedure—outlines how to apply for funding, how to get reimbursed, how to appeal decisions, etc.
Please access the appropriate documentation below based on your organization’s classification.
If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to Budget Board in the following ways:
In Person: Squires 225
The Chair of Student Budget Board, Rob Ethridge, is also available.
Student Budget Board Office Hours
- Lynn McPeak, Student Budget Board Admin Associate
- Mondays: 11:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Tuesdays: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesdays: 11:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Thursdays: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Fridays: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
- Rob Etheridge, Student Budget Board Chair
- Mondays: 11:00 am to 12:30 pm
- Tuesdays: 3:30 to 4:30 pm
- Wednesdays: 2:00 to 5:00 pm
- Sharmin Alam, Student Budget Board Vice Chair
- Tuesdays: 12:30 to 2:00 pm
- Wednesdays: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Thursdays: 12:30 to 2:00 pm