SECL COVID-19 Information
Latest Information from Student Engagement and Campus Life
Updated March 31, 2020
Due to the continuing spread of COVID-19 infection in the United States and in light of recent decisions of Virginia Tech, Student Engagement and Campus Life is cancelling events scheduled in our facilities (Squires Student Center, Graduate Life Center, Johnston Student Center, Burruss Hall, War Memorial Chapel and Campus Common Spaces) through May 6, 2020, for the safety of our students and staff.
We know it is disappointing to cancel events and meetings. Those interested in rescheduling their event during Summer 2020 and/or the 2020-2021 Academic year, please email email@example.com so we can contact you at a later date. Please note this situation is still fluid and we may not be able to accommodate all requests.
There will be no penalty or fees associated with these event cancellations. Please contact Event Services at 540-231-5005 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns related to your cancellation.
Should the cancelled reservation be part of a series, only dates that have already occurred will be invoiced.
For additional information regarding the university’s response to COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus), please visit vt.edu/flu/2019Coronavirus.
In accordance with Governor Ralph Northram and Virginia Tech’s guidance surrounding COVID-19, Student Engagement and Campus Life will be modifying operations and services in Squires Student Center, Johnston Student Center, and the Graduate Life Center. These are preventative measures to minimize health and safety risks to our students, staff and the Blacksburg community by reducing the density of our campus population.
Squires Student Center
Closed to the general public. Only open to Virginia Tech student community members with approved access. Swipe access is available at the College Avenue entrance.
Monday – Friday: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Virtual office hours by appointment on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 2-5 pm. Schedule a consultation with an Engagement Ambassador.
Johnston Student Center
The Graduate Life Center
Until further notice, the Graduate Life Center is closed to public access. As always, graduate students have 24/7 access with their Hokie Passport.
The Graduate School offices will continue with their Monday thru Friday, 8am to 5pm schedule for urgent walk-in services. If you have an in-person scheduled appointment or need to pick up an immigration document, please enter the building on the GLC lawn side of the building and follow directions on our signage.
The Virginia Tech Off-Campus Housing office will continue to provide virtual services for the University community during the Spring 2020 semester. Because of changes in University operations and staffing, we are offering services in the following ways:
- You can send us an e-mail at email@example.com or leave us a voicemail (540-231-3466) with your contact information. Student and professional staff are responding to e-mail and voicemail inquiries daily (M-F). Please give us 1-2 business days to get back to you.
- Zoom and/or phone appointments for more in-depth support are available Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday between 2pm and 4pm. Appointments can be made in advance, or up to 5 minutes before an available appointment time for a more “walk-in” style experience. To make an appointment online, visit: bit.ly/vtoch-appointment
- If you are not able to meet between on the days and times offered, please e-mail us to set up an appointment at another time that works for you.
- You can continue to visit our website for more information and resources: techoffcampus.com.
For those seeking information and guidance about off-campus housing in light of the COVID-19 outbreak, please read on:
While Off-Campus Housing works in close partnership with local leasing companies, these companies are private businesses and each sets its own policies. That said, there are a few pieces of guidance we’d like to offer students with questions about their off-campus leases this semester because of the coronavirus outbreak.
- If you are seeking to end your lease early or need more flexible options on your rent payment, start by reaching out to your property management company. Every company will have a different approach, so don’t assume yours will or won’t be willing to work with you.
- If your property manager says they cannot accommodate your request around your lease or rent payment needs, the best resource available for advice is Student Legal Services. This office is funded by your student fees and offers legal guidance for students, for example around leases and contracts. Their website recommends calling or e-mailing to set up an appointment as they are now operating virtually. Their phone number is 540-231-4720 and their e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are experiencing financial hardship, the Dean of Students’ office may be able to help. This website has more information on their Emergency Assistance Fund for students, and you can also reach out to their office through the following channels:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 540-231-3787
- Walk-in: 109 New Hall West
- Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Mon.-Fri.
- After Hours/Weekends, 365 days a year: 540-231-6411, press 1
Student Organization leaders are encouraged to continue operating virtually as they are able. This page is meant to provide you with guidance and resources for working towards your mission virtually.
Student Organization Events and Activities
- Due to the continuing spread of COVID-19 infection in the United States and in light of recent decisions of Virginia Tech, Student Engagement and Campus Life is cancelling events scheduled in our facilities (Squires Student Center, Graduate Life Center, Johnston Student Center, Burruss Hall, War Memorial Chapel and Campus Common Spaces) through May 6, 2020, for the safety of our students and staff. This includes but is not limited to events, meetings, socials, practices, service projects, hosted speakers or performers, and educational programs.
- If you had a reservation in an SECL-managed space during this period, you should have received a cancellation notice from Event Services. If you’re interested in rescheduling, you should reply directly to the email from firstname.lastname@example.org you received about your cancellation. If you had plans to host an event in an academic classroom or other spaces not managed by SECL, these spaces may be closed or inaccessible through April 30. Please contact email@example.com if you have questions regarding these spaces.
- As an alternative to in-person gatherings, we encourage you to consider having remote, web-based meetings using platforms like Zoom or Google Hangouts.
- If you decide to meet in-person in a non-University venue, you should consider the risks and steps outlined in Virginia Health Department guidance for cancelling and modifying events and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidance for preventing illness.
- As indicated in the communication from President Sands, “All members of the Virginia Tech community are being discouraged from any non-critical domestic or international travel, whether personal or professional.” If your organization decides to travel to competitions, conferences or otherwise, we strongly encourage you to consider the above guidance from the CDC as well as defer to the event host’s directives for limiting the spread of disease. If you’re traveling out of state, we encourage you to monitor the spread of the virus and refer to information for the state health department for the respective state you are visiting. If you received funding from Student Budget Board for travel, an additional email will be sent with more information, shortly.
- If you’re planning to participate in community outreach or service activities, please defer to the guidance of the agency or community organization you are working with.
- COVID-19 (or any illness) can severely impact certain populations such as the elderly, immunosuppressed, and those with pre-existing conditions.
- As you continue to make plans, please consider both individual and community impacts.
- We understand and empathize with the feelings you’re likely experiencing related to the cancellation of major events and projects that you’ve worked on throughout the year. Our efforts are motivated in the spirit of containing the spread of COVID-19 and prioritizing public health by reducing the density of our campus population. While this requires sacrifice by all of us, we know that Hokies always join together for the common good in the spirit of our motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).
Student Budget Board Requests and Funding
- If your organization has requested and received funding from Student Budget Board (SBB) this year, you will receive a separate email with detailed information about your requests.
- Given the cancellation of all events from now until May 6, 2020, SBB will no longer be receiving applications for funding for the Spring 2020 semester.
- Semester in Advance Requests
- To best support your organizations in continuing its great work in the Fall 2020 semester, SBB will continue to receive Semester in Advance requests.
- Please see Policy here, outlining application deadlines (p. 20).
- Note: Two changes to policy
- We will extend the deadline for submission until Thursday, April 9 at 5:00 pm (previous deadline was March 31)
- Dates for events or expenditures are May 7- November 31 (previously May 1).
- You will still be required to take the Funding Workshop and complete all necessary requirements for application.
Mandatory Annual Registration Process
- All recognized student organizations will still be required to complete all steps of the Mandatory Annual Registration process by June 1 in order to maintain student organization privileges for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- The online compliance sessions that were slated to launch on Monday, March 16 will be postponed and launch on Monday, March 23.
- As a portion of the process previously required attending in-person training sessions starting on April 7, we will be moving these sessions to an online platform. These, along with any other alterations to the process, will be reiterated and broadly communicated throughout the next few weeks as we finalize all details.
Student Organization Leadership Awards
- The in-person ceremony for the Student Organization Leadership Awards will be cancelled in accordance with guidance from the university. We are still accepting nominations and plan to recognize winners through an alternative opportunity and will mail physical awards to the winners.
- Please submit a nomination for your organization or leaders by March 27 at 5:00 pm for their accomplishments throughout this academic year. Student organizations that are nominated for an award still receive early access to Gobblerfest 2020 sign ups.
Thank you in advance for your patience, flexibility and space to identify the ways that we can best support you and your organization.
Due to the continuing spread of COVID-19 infection in the United States and in light of recent decisions of Virginia Tech, Student Engagement and Campus Life has canceled all ticketed event scheduled through May 6, 2020, for the safety of our students and staff. As a result, ticket purchasers will be issued a refund for any ticket that purchased to an event occurring between March 13 - May 6, 2020.
We will begin processing refunds the week of March 16, please note this is a manual process that takes time to complete. Purchases made by credit card will be refunded back to the original payment method. This typically takes 5-7 business days to appear in most bank accounts once refunded. Purchases made by cash, check, or Hokie Passport will be refunded via check from the Virginia Tech Bursar's Office, usually within 2-4 weeks.
Please note the Ticket Office is closed to the public for the remainder of the semester. However, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions related to ticket refunds. Due to the high volume of email requests, please allow for 2-3 business days for a response. We appreciate your patience and will respond as soon as possible.
All other event-related inquiries should be directed to the event organizer.