Student Engagement and Campus Life maintains a lost and found inventory for each of our facilities at Squires Student Center and will accept items that are turned in from other entities on campus (presuming adherence to the Student Engagement and Campus Life Lost and Found Policy and Procedures). The Squires Welcome Center will accept lost and found items from other buildings and departments on campus if turned in within two (2) weeks of the item being found.
Individuals who lost items in facilities not managed by Student Engagement and Campus Life are also encouraged to contact the facility directly and the Virginia Tech Police Department. All items in inventory can be claimed at the Squires Welcome Center.
Virginia code (Disposition of Unclaimed Property, 23.1-104) requires that most items accepted into the Lost and Found be kept for a minimum of 120 days if not claimed, unless otherwise specified below. After 120 days, the items will be given to the Virginia Tech Surplus Property Office and Warehouse.
The physical lost and found inventory may not be searched by any individuals under any circumstances. Individuals may view the log of lost and found items by visiting campuslife.vt.edu/about/Lost_and_Found
Logging Lost and Found Items:
All items will be inventoried upon arrival and logged into Student Engagement and Campus Life’s Crowdfind database listing the date item was turned in, a description of the item, where it was found, tagged with the appropriate reference number, photographed and placed in a secure location.
For items that contain identification (driver’s licenses, U.S. Passports, Hokie Passports, etc.) and the owner in question is affiliated with Virginia Tech, a SECL staff will make a reasonable effort to contact the owner within one (1) business day when possible.
Filing a missing Item
Individuals who have lost items, but are not in our inventory, may file a claim through Crowdfind. We will contact the individual within two (2) business days of the claim being filed to update the status. Claims that are without a match will be filed as “unmatched” and revisited after thirty (30) days. If after thirty (30) days, the claim is still “unmatched” it will be rejected and archived.
Claiming Lost and Found Items:
To attempt to ensure lost items are returned to the rightful owners, persons claiming items must describe the item(s) as closely as possible and provide photo identification. Items will not be shown to claimants until an acceptable description is given. Claimant’s information will be logged before the item(s) will be released.
Claimants may pick up their items between 10:00am-6:00pm for Squires Student Center Welcome Center. (see https://campuslife.vt.edu/about/hours_of_operation.html for up to date hours)
Any items secured in the Cash Office (state issued identification, wallets/purses, cash, bankcards and government passports) must be picked up on a weekday (Monday-Friday) between 8:00am-4:00pm in Squires 225
Items Containing Cash or Identifying Information:
Items such as wallets containing cash, bank cards, identification cards, passports, etc. must be logged by the staff recipient. Verification of the logged information must be completed by a second staff member. Following the verification of the item, the staff member on duty will give the item to the Cash Office staff. If the item was turned in after 5pm or on the weekends, a Student Building Manager will verify the item and deposit it to the Cash Office drop box. Depending on the size of the item, the Student Building Manager may deposit it inside the office.
Items turned in to the cash office must be logged in the Crowdfind system and tagged with the appropriate reference number. In addition, where the item(s) was found, when, and the staff member who logged it will be included on the tag.
Disposing of Items:
Items turned into the Lost and Found will be held for 120 days and then disposed of in the following ways:
- Damaged items, perishable or other non-valuable items will be discarded or recycled.
- All other items not described here will be turned over to the Virginia Tech Surplus Property Office and Warehouse.
- Identifiable State of Virginia keys will be send to the Facilities Access Control Office.
- Wallets/purses will be held in the Cash Office and sent to surplus after 120 days. The contents will be either destroyed or sent to surplus.
- Cash found by itself will be held in the Cash Office then given to the Bursar’s Office after 30 days for deposit.
- Gift cards will be held in the Cash Office and destroyed after 120 days.
- State issued identification and social security cards will be held in the Cash Office then destroyed if not claimed by the appropriate owner after 120 days.
- Bank Cards (credit, debit, ATM) will be held in the Cash Office and destroyed if not claimed by the appropriate owner after 120 days.
- Passports will be held in the Cash Office then mailed to the U.S. Department of State- Passport Office if not claimed by the owner after 120 days
Water bottles will be archived from inventory on the 15th and the 30th of every month and sent to surplus.
Hokie Passports will be sent to the Hokie Passport Office after 7 days for them to destroy.
Items turned into Lost and Found that will be disposed of or destroyed upon receiving it by a professional staff member:
- Prescription/over the counter medication
- Toiletries or powders
- Wet or soiled clothing or undergarments
- Alcohol, tobacco, e-cigarettes, etc. of any kind
- Food items
- Weapons of any kind will be sent to the Virginia Tech Police Department.
- Bicycles will be sent to the Virginia Tech Police Department.
- Anything received that could cause potential harm or health risk to SECL employees or property
Lost and Found Information for Departments and Other Campus Facilities:
Squires Welcome Center will accept lost and found items from other facilities and departments on campus if turned in within two (2) weeks of the item being found. All items that are being turned in must be accompanied by a Lost and Found inventory list; any items without an inventory sheet will not be accepted. Inventory list is located at http://campuslife.vt.edu/about/Lost_and_Found.html
Items that have been held for longer the 120-day period will not be accepted. Departments will need to coordinate directly with the Virginia Tech Surplus Property Office and Warehouse to surplus those items.
revised August 2017