Student Engagement and Campus Life maintains a lost and found inventory for our facilities and are not responsible for items lost or turned in to other locations on campus. Individuals who lost items are encouraged to check with the facilities where the item was lost and the Virginia Tech Police Department.
Lost and Found for Student Engagement and Campus Life facilities are located at:
- Squires Student Center – Squires Welcome Center
- Graduate Life Center – GLC Welcome Center
- Johnston Student Center – Johnston Welcome Center
- Burruss Auditorium – Squires Welcome Center
- War Memorial Chapel – Squires Welcome Center
Virginia code (Disposition of Unclaimed Property, 23-4.2) requires that most items accepted into the Lost and Found be kept for a minimum of 120 days unless otherwise specified below if not claimed. After 120 days, the items are either donated to charitable organizations or given to the Virginia Tech Surplus Property Office and Warehouse.
The physical lost and found inventory may not be searched by any individuals under any circumstances. Individuals may view the log of lost and found items by visiting campuslife.vt.edu
Logging Lost and Found Items:
All items will be inventoried upon arrival and logged into Student Engagement and Campus Life’s Crowdfind database listing the date turned in, a description of the item, where it was found, tagged with the appropriate reference number, photographed and placed in a secure location.
For items that contain identification (driver’s licenses, Hokie Passports, bankcards, email, phone number or and address) SECL staff will make every effort to contact the owner within one (1) business day.
Filing a missing Item
Individuals who have lost items but are not in our inventory may file a claim through Crowdfind. If an item comes in that matches the description, we will contact the individual within one (1) business day.
Claiming Lost and Found Items:
To attempt to ensure lost items are returned to the rightful owners, persons claiming items must describe the item(s) as closely as possible and provide photo identification. Items will not be shown to claimants until an acceptable description is given. Claimant’ss information will be logged before the item(s) will be released.
Claimants may pick up their items during building hours for the Graduate Life Center, Squires and Johnston Students Center.
Any items secured in the Cash Office (state issued identification, wallets/purses, cash, bankcards and government passports) must be picked up on a weekday (Monday-Friday) between 8:00am-5:00pm.
Items Containing Cash or Identifying Information:
Items such as wallets containing cash, bankcards, identification cards, passports, etc. must be logged by the receiver (Information Specialist, Student Building Manager, professional staff member) and verified what was logged by a second staff member. Following the verification of the item, a professional staff member will deposit it in the Cash Office. If the item turned in was after 5pm or on the Weekends, a Student Building Manager will verify the item and deliver it to the Cash Office. Depending on the size of the item, the Student Building Manager may drop it in the safe outside of the office.
Items turned into the cash office must be logged in the Crowdfind system and tagged with the appropriate reference number. In addition, where the item(s) was found, when and the staff member who logged it need to be included on the tag.
Disposing of Items:
Items turned into the Lost and Found will be held for 120 days and then disposed of in the following ways:
- Prescription eyeglasses/sunglasses will be donated to the local Lions Club.
- Any keys that are not state of Virginia keys will be discarded.
- Unmatched items, damaged items, perishable or other non-valuable items will be discarded or recycled.
- Clothing, shoes, backpacks and purses will be cleaned out and donated to a charitable organization.
- Water bottles or any other food/beverage container will be emptied and donated to a charitable organization.
- All other items not described here will be turned over to the Virginia Tech Surplus Property Office and Warehouse.
Items turned into Lost and Found that will be sent to the appropriate entity within 1 week (7 days):
- Hokie Passports will be sent to the Hokie Passport Office.
- Identifiable State of Virginia keys will be send to the Facilities Access Control Office.
Items turned into Lost and Found that logged and sent to the appropriate entity within 24 hours then handled in the following ways:
- Wallets, purses, etc. will be held in the Cash Office and surplused after 120 days. The contents will be either destroyed or surplused after the designated holding time of the item.
- Cash will be held in the Cash Office then given to the Bursar’s Office after 30 days for deposit.
- State issued identification will be held in the Cash Office then destroyed if not claimed by the appropriate owner after 1 month (30 days).
- Bank Cards (credit, debit, ATM) will be held in the Cash Office and destroyed if not claimed by the appropriate owner after one business day (24 hours).
- Passports will be held in the Cash Office then mailed to the U.S. Department of State- Passport Office if not claimed by the owner after 1 month (30 days).
Items turned into Lost and Found that will be disposed of or destroyed upon receiving it by a professional staff member:
- Prescription/over the counter medication
- Toiletries or powders
- Wet or soiled clothing or undergarments
- Alcohol of any kind
- Food items
- Weapons of any kind will be sent to the Virginia Tech Police Department.
- Bicycles will be sent to the Virginia Tech Police Department.