About War Memorial Chapel
War Memorial Monument and Chapel located prominently on Drillfield Drive, is a tribute to those alumni of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University who made the supreme sacrifice in our nation's wars.
This memorial is a shrine to fortify education with worship and inspiration. It was conceived as a central campus structure, giving visual evidence of the ethical standards that are traditional at Virginia Tech and are based upon the honor system. It is dedicated to those who gave their all; yet it is designed to inspire the living, especially Virginia Tech graduates of the future.
The Chapel’s permanent features avoid creedal symbolism, yet the space easily accommodates events such as weddings, memorial services, initiations, military commissioning, departmental commencement ceremonies, concerts, religious services, and meetings. Rates vary for each event.
The doors of the Chapel remain unlocked from 6 a.m. until midnight each day except during university closures. War Memorial Chapel is available to students, faculty, staff, or visitors who need a calm, quiet place to get away from the everyday bustle of life--to meditate, to pray, to sit quietly.
The Chapel's Mission
The Chapel provides spaces and services that complement the missions of Student Engagement and Campus Life, the Division of Student Affairs, and the University. The Chapel achieves this by:
- Demonstrating an appreciation for diversity
- Providing gathering space for groups of all religious backgrounds
- Providing staff support and event coordination services to clients
- Promoting leadership development through student employment, as well as an events internship program for students
- Celebrating and supporting the Virginia Tech Principles of Community